Welcome. Are you concerned about your child's future in a warming world?
Australian Parents for Climate Action is the voice for all parents, grandparents and carers of children in Australia to show their deep concern about the impact of climate change on our children’s safety and survival, now and into the future.
Together we demand immediate emergency-scale action from all levels of government and from business to safeguard the future for our children by cutting atmospheric greenhouse emissions to safe levels and protecting the ecosystems on which we all depend.
UN Climate Action Summit 23 Sept - We need emergency action ScoMo!
The Secretary General of the UN, Antonio Guterres, has called an emergency Climate Action Summit in New York City on 23rd September. He tells the truth of the climate crisis: that we're in a “dramatic climate emergency.”
He has called on every country to bring stronger commitments to the Summit including to stop burning and mining coal, to increase renewable energy usage and contribute funds to help poorer nations transition and cope with climate impacts.
But Australia's PM, Scott Morrison, has said that he's not even going to attend the summit, and he's planning to weaken our emissions reduction targets.
Join the Global Climate Strike on 20th September!
The biggest climate protest event in history is coming up on 20th September - just three days before the Global Climate Summit in New York City.
We're calling on all parents and all adults to attend the strike - and support your kids to attend as well.
There are strike rallies in all major cities and towns of Australia - head to the School Strike web site for full details and to RSVP.
Australian Parents for Climate Action members will be gathering at many of the rallies - sign up for our weekly email to stay in the loop!
We've also produced a great list of tips and resources for getting our school communities engaged and ready for the Global Climate Strike. It's aimed primarily at parents.
Sign our Statement
To all Australian Parliamentarians and Councillors,
I am a parent, guardian or grandparent and I am deeply concerned about the threat that climate change poses to my children and grandchildren.
The future safety and survival of our children - and their future children - is under direct threat by the excess carbon emissions in the atmosphere, which is destroying the ecosystems on which we all depend for our survival.
- climate impacts are already causing serious loss of life and destroying vital ecosystems
- global average temperature, atmospheric greenhouse gases, and ocean acidity are already at dangerous levels, and
- wartime economic mobilisations have proven how quickly nations can restructure their economies when facing an extreme threat
it is inexcusable to continue with climate-damaging policies that put us all in even greater peril. The Paris Agreement’s 1.5°C goal is not a safe goal.
We call on all Australian federal, state, and territory parliaments and all local councils to:
- declare a climate emergency
- commit to providing maximum protection for all children, adults, economies, species, ecosystems, and civilisations, and to fully restoring a safe climate
- mobilise the required resources and take effective action at the necessary scale and speed
- transform the economy to zero emissions and make a fair contribution to drawing down the excess carbon dioxide in the air, and
- encourage all other governments around the world to take these same actions.
We've risen to big challenges in the past when an emergency has been declared, with citizens and all sides of politics rising to the occasion and working together for the common good.
We call on all levels of government to do what is necessary now. This is an urgent threat to us all, especially our children.